Belfast – small but mighty! The lively and energetic capital of Northern Ireland, it has always been a great place to come from… now, it’s a great place to go to! In recent years, the city has flourished as a new hub of European tourism. With beautiful cobbled streets, charming pubs, wonderful local people, fascinating history and captivating culture, it’s easy to see why Belfast is now a top destination for students from all over the world. From shopping centres to art galleries and parks to sports facilities, this really is the city that offers something for everyone. Here are 8 reasons why English language learners should consider studying in Belfast:
1. Friendly Atmosphere: A relatively new English language learning destination, tourists to the city can be sure they will be able to mix with locals! Visitors often comment on the warmth and friendliness of the people. Locals are known for their hospitality and willingness to help visitors feel welcome and at home in the city. There’s always some ‘craic’ to be found!
2. Accessibility: Belfast is relatively compact and easy to navigate, making it convenient for visitors to explore its attractions on foot or by public transport. The city also serves as a gateway to other parts of Northern Ireland, including the stunning countryside and coastal areas.
3. Scenic Beauty: Northern Ireland is renowned for its stunning natural landscapes which have featured in many blockbuster hits like Game of Thrones. From the rugged coastline of the Causeway Coastal Route, the serenity of the mountains of Mourne to the sea as well as the serene beauty of parks and gardens within the city itself, Belfast offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts to explore and enjoy nature.
4. Cultural Attractions: Belfast boasts a thriving cultural scene, with numerous art galleries, museums, theatres, and music venues. Visitors can enjoy live music performances, art exhibitions, theatre productions, and festivals throughout the year. Traditional Irish music and dancing can be found in the city’s many pubs almost every night of the week, so visitors should be prepared to join in!
5. Rich History: The city has a complex and interesting history, particularly concerning its industrial past and more recent conflicts. Many visitors are drawn here to explore its historical landmarks, such as the award-winning Titanic Museum, Crumlin Road Gaol, Belfast City Hall, and the murals that depict the Troubles.
6. Food and Drink: Belfast has a flourishing food and drink scene, with a wide range of restaurants, cafes, pubs, and bars offering diverse culinary experiences. From traditional Irish cuisine to international street food, there’s something to suit every palate.
7. Shopping and Entertainment: The city boasts an array of shopping districts, from high-end boutiques to quirky independent shops. Additionally, Belfast offers a vibrant nightlife, with plenty of bars, clubs, and entertainment venues catering to all tastes.
8. Affordability: Northern Ireland’s got the goods when it comes to affordable living, making it a top pick for international students. Unlike some pricier UK cities, Belfast won’t drain your wallet. You’ll find cosy accommodation at pocket-friendly prices and plenty of cheap eats to keep hunger at bay. Plus, there’s no shortage of fun stuff to do on a budget, whether it’s hitting up cool spots around town or catching live gigs without breaking the bank.
With its friendly vibes and affordable lifestyle, Belfast is the place to be for students looking to stretch their pennies while still living it up. Make sure to check out Visit Belfast for all of the latest information and events coming up in the city and beyond.
Drop us an email if you need more information about our courses and living and studying in Belfast!